Wednesday, March 4, 2009

our snowy adventure....

As if it being snowy wasnt enough, on saturday we returned home from Fredericksburg to find that our heat wasnt working downstairs. We got it looked at, and they said they would be out to fix it when they got the part on either Monday or Tuesday. Well, Monday was frigid and snowy, so they didnt get the part until Tuesday. Addison and I hibernated upstairs, which was annoying, but tolerable, and played in her room and the playroom all day. On Monday night I woke up at 3AM to find that the upstairs was pretty cold...when I went to check the thermostat, it said 55. Okay, I know Josh and I keep our house a little colder than others, but not that cold. I woke Josh up and he tried to flip the breaker to no avail. So here we are, our only snowstorm of the entire year on the coldest day of the year, with no heat. Frustrating that its supposed to be near 70 this weekend! When Addison woke up, you could tell from the look on her face that she knew it was cold, and she didnt even attempt to move from the bed. I got her up, got her bundled up, got my dressed, and we headed out to chickfila for breakfast, followed by walmart, followed by a whole lot of driving. Our friend Katie was kind enough to take us in for the morning, and we attempted to head back to the house for nap, but by then, it was 44 downstairs, and 49 upstairs. Addison ran to target, got some sleeping bags, and headed over to the condo. She was really confused, but we managed to nap for about an hour before the builder called us and told us to head home to meet the HVAC guy. I think yesterday was one of the longest days of my life. Being that cold for that long and worrying whether your child is warm enough is absolutely draining. I cant imagine how people deal with that all winter, and am extremely grateful that this is not something we face everyday. Yesterday afternoon we enjoyed our nice warm house and stayed put. I have been trying to get Addison to help me in the kitchen for some time now, and she finally agreed to help me make some brownies (no pudge fat free brownies!) and help "do" the dishes. I filled the sink with water and let her use some measuring cups to pour the water from one side to another. She was so cute, and was loving every minute of it. I was really shocked, but she had NO interest in licking the brownie spoon! (these brownies are made from mix and plain yogurt, so no eggs involved!)...she hasnt been into sweets much lately, and has been a berry-aholic! The brownies turned out great and I cant wait for her to help me more. I am leaving the stool out so that she can be apart of the cooking everyday!
On Monday, Addison and I (okay, more me than her) were getting really stir crazy, so we decided to take our new jogging stroller out for its first hoorah out in the snow. We bundled up and walked over to starbucks, where I enjoyed a nice warm mocha, and she had some special milk and a cookies :) She seemed so grown up sitting there in the cafe sharing coffee time with mommy and chatting about her surroundings.

Here are pictures of her playing in her room on our snow day, bundled up for a snowy walk to starbucks, and helping mommy in the kitchen. 





No comments: